Thursday 11 November 2010

Slum kids troop with barefoot (A short note about moment celebration)

I still can see slum kids run down the slippery slope. They stride over the street strewn with garbage on their barefoot. Holding a soccer ball made from plastic bag and paper scraps united with string, black arrogant boy with messy and half torn clothes commands his friend to stand on the sideline of dry rice field. They are to play football, they pretend as though they were a world-class soccer player with expensive pair of shoes, team vests and the roar of hooligan. They make two lines and get ready for hottest match, not because of a million people watch them, but rather they play it underneath the burning sun. A graceful movement is shown by the boy with bald head, he is good at fouling his rival. I know, the boy is called Asep, he is the fourth grader of one elementary school in Sindangratu,a small village in Garut. He is good at doing break dance. Another resourceful player is Wahyu,the most handsome boy whom every girl crushes on him. His skillful kick makes him score the goal that the goal keeper, named Pian goes angry and blames his teammates.I really notice how they laugh in the middle of their wretch. I do admire the way they enjoy this tricky life. Perhaps, because they are still so young. But, I take very valuable lesson from them that living in this world doesn't mean complaining about what we don't possess but thanking for what we have. It will make us the richest person ever, not because we are provided with so much wealth, but because we always feel enough.


Created when I really miss the boys I met in Sindangratu, Garut......Thanks for letting me there with you all. Really, I am so lucky :-) I can't wait to encounter another creature like you .....


By: Martina
Bandung, January 2,2010 18:25

No comments:

Post a Comment